A dynamic and results driven human resources professional with progressively responsible experience in a full spectrum of human resources programs, services and functions, executing initiatives in support of business objectives and corporate goals.
Adaptable, high energy professional that helps guide organizations through change and challenges with a proactive and collaborative approach to teamwork.
HUMAN RESOURCES ADVISOR2014 - Present
UNIVERSITY OF CALGARY, CALGARY AB
- Provide operational Human Resources services and generalist consulting services to support the values and strategic direction of the client groups as well as the University.
- Advise, coordinate and administer the operational aspects of human resources processes within the client groups for all staff and ensuring these processes are effectively planned, coordinated and communicated consistently across the units.
- Make recommendations regarding the development of policies, processes and systems that would add value to the Centres of Expertise as well as the Administrative Departments.
- Provide consistent advice to clients on a range of human resources functions which include; Employee and Labour Relations, Workplace Wellness, Disability Management, Talent Management Attraction and Retention, Organizational Effectiveness, Learning and Development, Total Rewards Compensation and Recognition, Workforce Planning and Analytics, Environmental Health and Safety
- Utilize Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS) to manage and process human resources data to support business decision making and process improvement. In depth knowledge of PeopleSoft.
- Provide employee and labour relations advice within the guidelines of the University policies and procedures, the Collective Agreements, the Alberta Labour and Human Rights Laws and any other applicable legislation in order to reduce risk associated with legal action and potential grievances.
- Conduct investigations and advises and support clients with performance management, discipline or corrective action including terminations.
- Promote ongoing viability of the Attendance Support Program by ensuring identified employees are enrolled in the program, and that managers have the tools, resources and support required and that regular ASP program tracking is in place.
- In collaboration with the Staff Wellness Centre, provide clients with disability management support, including management of return to work, alternative placements and facilitation of accommodation to promote a healthyworkplace and productivity.
- Provide clients with support and advice regarding
workforce planning including structural reorganization, change management, appointment/employment type options, job reviews, job evaluations, position abolishments.
- Assist leaders in Identifying skill gaps within the faculties and administrative departments and make recommendations for leadership and development training.
- Support Environmental Health and Safety initiatives by raising awareness of required compliance with all Environmental Health and Safety legislation and University Policies and procedures.
- Analyze HR reports determining appropriate follow-up and highlighting any major issues with mangers.
- With the Partner participate with the Employee Engagement Plan, understanding the results and assisting in supporting clients with their set action plan by providing suggestions and meaningful contribution to the client.
HUMAN RESOURCES COORDINATOR2013 – 2014
UNIVERSITY OF CALGARY, CALGARY AB
- Dealt with many day to day simple and complex HR issues that often required further investigation and collaboration with the larger HR team and various centres of excellence, while balancing the often conflicting needs of the faculty, staff and students at the same time adhering to the collective agreements, labour standards and University policies.
- Reviewed and identified operational and administrative process improvement measures, including enhancing and streamlining the academic sessional hire process to ensure full compliance of the collective agreement which has improved accuracy and efficiency. The sessional hire process (including the SharePoint sessional database) is currently being reviewed to be potentially adopted University wide in the future.
- Supported implementation of process and procedural change and gained client buy-in though open communication, informative discussions, presentations and training. Strengthened HR and faculty-unit relationships further by timely delivery of quality deliverables.
- Conducted Job Profile Reviews and Evaluations, initiated Job Opening Requests, created Interview guides, participated as the HR representative in interviews and aided in the selection process.
- Provided advice and guidance with regards to a proposed faculty-unit reorganisation and contributed in faculty-unit workforce planning meetings by making recommendations for appropriate appointment types that met the growing needs of the unit.
- Assessed and problem solved the onboarding/off-boarding process with managers and on-boarding coordinators, advising creation of additional faculty specific checklists to ensure all University and faculty requirements are met in a timely manner.
- Led and facilitated HR Coordinator meetings providing opportunity to share best practices which has resulted in a more cohesive connected team.
PARENTAL SABBATICAL2012 - 2013
HUMAN RESOURCE GENERALIST 2008 - 2012
TRAVEL ALBERTA, CALGARY AB
Travel Alberta is the tourism marketing agency of the Government of Alberta that is governed by the Travel Alberta Act and a Board of Directors accountable to the Minister of Tourism, Parks and Recreation.
- Responsible for full cycle recruitment and selection, with the hiring manager, of marketing, finance and IT professionals from entry-level to director level.
- Implemented and administered employee on-boarding and orientation to ensure incoming employees understand benefits, policies and organizational expectations and have a positive introduction to the organization.
- Guided the cultural transition of the organization from a non-union environment to a union/non-union blended environment by providing consultation and advice to managers and employees on a wide range of HR issues.
- Assisted leadership team with employment legislation and collective agreement interpretation and application.
- Designed and established an innovative employee recognition program based on Travel Alberta’s Values and Principles. Secured annual funding in support of these programs.
- Provided input and assistance revising policies and procedures to reflect organisational and legal compliance changes.
- Provided support to the HR Director during compensation and classification reviews.
- Organized employee learning and development in-house training sessions through workshops and lunch-n-learn activities.
- Contributed to the strategic planning, development, and implementation of HR programs and created best practices consistent with the goals of the company.
- Oversaw and administered benefits and pension, including enrollments, employee enquiries, and employee communications.
- Compiled HR reports and statistics as required by the Director, Human Resources.
HUMAN RESOURCE ASSISTANT/PROJECT SUPPORT COORDINATOR2007 - 2008
HATCH ENERGY LTD, CALGARY AB
STORE MANAGER2006 - 2007
BOUTIQUE JACOB, KELOWNA BC/CALGARY AB
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT ACHIEVEMENTS
BACHELOR OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (HONOURS)
University of Northumbria, UK
CHARTERED PROFESSIONAL IN HUMAN RESOURCES (CPHR)
Human Resources Institute of Alberta
REGISTERED PROFESSIONAL RECRUITER (RPR) DESIGNATION
Institute of Professional Management
WORK LIFE BALANCE ACTIVITIES
I am an avid outdoor-person and enjoy touring Alberta and spending time with family and friends. View my picture galleries on all my favorite activities!
I am currently seeking new employment opportunities and would be happy to discuss how my experience can benefit your organization.