Adaptable, resilient, pragmatic human resources professional, with progressive experience in the full spectrum of human resources functions, who guides organizational leaders through change and challenges with a collaborative approach to people engagement.
Strengths include empowering leaders to optimize the efficiency of their team through coaching, best practices and effective resources, focusing on the interrelationships between people, strategic priorities of the organization and processes to achieve growth and success.
HUMAN RESOURCES ADVISOR2014 - 2017
UNIVERSITY OF CALGARY, CALGARY AB
- Delivered HR initiatives and programs ensuring the processes are eﬀectively planned, coordinated and communicated consistently across the units supporting the strategic direction of the client groups and the university.
- Provided clients with support and advice regarding strategic and operational workforce planning including position management, structural organization and assistance in planning and identifying high performers for future leadership succession.
- Utilized Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS) to gather, analyze and prepare human resource data into understandable standard and ad hoc reports to support workforce business decision making, programs and process efficiency.
- Increased efficiency and effectiveness of processes and empowered leaders with creation and development of additional HR tools, resources and best practices.
- Provided consistent employee and labour relations advice and education to leaders on interpretation and application of University policies and procedures, Collective Agreements, Labour Laws and other applicable legislation in order to reduce risk associated with legal action and potential grievances.
- Provided expertise, guidance and coaching to leaders with regards to performance management, workplace investigations, discipline or corrective action including terminations.
- Assisted with departmental talent attraction and retention objectives including ensuring core required skills are captured in the job profile, developing and executing recruitment plans with the hiring manager and actioning learning and development programs.
- Guided leaders with regards to compensation related matters including new hire salaries, transfers, promotions, performance increases, classification and compensation reviews.
- Promoted ongoing viability of the Attendance Support Program (ASP) by ensuring identiﬁed employees are enrolled, and that leaders have the tools, resources and support required.
- In collaboration with the Staﬀ Wellness Centre, provided clients with disability management support, including management of return to work, alternative placements and facilitation of accommodation to promote a healthy workplace and productivity.
- Participated with the Employee Engagement Plan, understanding the results and assisting in supporting leaders with their action plan by providing suggestions and meaningful contribution to the client.
HUMAN RESOURCES COORDINATOR2013 – 2014
UNIVERSITY OF CALGARY, CALGARY AB
- Responded to and resolved day to day simple and complex HR issues that required further investigation and collaboration with the larger HR team and various centres of excellence, while balancing conﬂicting needs of faculty, staﬀ and students and adhering to the collective agreements, labour standards and University policies.
- Reviewed and identiﬁed operational and administrative process improvement measures, including enhancing and streamlining the academic sessional hire process to ensure full compliance of the collective agreement improving accuracy and eﬃciency. The sessional hire process (including the SharePoint sessional database) is currently under review as a potential best practice University wide initiative.
- Supported implementation of process and procedural change and gained client buy-in though open communication, informative discussions, presentations and training. Strengthened HR and faculty-unit relationships further by timely delivery of quality deliverables.
- Conducted Job Proﬁle Reviews and Evaluations, initiated job opening requests, created Interview guides, participated as the HR representative in interviews and aided in the selection process.
- Contributed advice and guidance for a proposed faculty-unit reorganisation and faculty-unit workforce planning meetings: made recommendations for appropriate appointment types to meet the growing needs of the unit.
- Assessed and problem solved the onboarding/off-boarding process with managers and on-boarding coordinators, advising creation of additional faculty specific checklists to ensure all University and faculty requirements are met in a timely manner.
- Led and facilitated HR Coordinator meetings providing opportunity to share best practices which has resulted in a more cohesive connected team.
PARENTAL SABBATICAL2012 - 2013
HUMAN RESOURCE GENERALIST 2008 - 2012
TRAVEL ALBERTA, CALGARY AB
- Responsible for full cycle recruitment and selection, with the hiring manager, of marketing, ﬁnance and IT professionals from entry-level to director level.
- Implemented and administered employee on-boarding and orientation to ensure incoming employees understood beneﬁts, policies and organizational expectations and had a positive introduction to the organization.
- Guided the cultural transition of the organization from a non-union environment to a union/non-union blended environment by providing consultation and advice to managers and employees on a wide range of HR issues.
- Assisted leadership team with employment legislation and collective agreement interpretation and application.
- Designed and established an innovative employee recognition program based on Travel Alberta’s Values and Principles. Secured annual funding in support of these programs.
- Provided input and assistance revising policies and procedures to reﬂect organisational and legal compliance changes.
- Provided support to the HR Director during compensation and classiﬁcation reviews.
- Organized employee learning and development in-house training sessions through workshops and lunch-n-learn activities.
- Contributed to the strategic planning, development, and implementation of HR programs and created best practices consistent with the goals of the company.
- Oversaw and administered beneﬁts and pension, including enrollments, employee enquiries, and employee communications.
- Compiled HR reports and statistics as required by the Director, Human Resources.
HUMAN RESOURCE ASSISTANT/PROJECT SUPPORT COORDINATOR2007 - 2008
HATCH ENERGY LTD, CALGARY AB
STORE MANAGER2006 - 2007
BOUTIQUE JACOB, KELOWNA BC/CALGARY AB
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
BACHELOR OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (HONOURS)
University of Northumbria, UK
CHARTERED PROFESSIONAL IN HUMAN RESOURCES (CPHR)
REGISTERED PROFESSIONAL RECRUITER (RPR)
Institute of Professional Management
- Business-integrated approach to human resources
- Effective listener and communicator
- Conflict management, negotiation and problem-solving
- Excellent judgement and data driven decision-making skills
- Demonstrated ethical and professional standards
- Organized, detail orientated and conscientious self-starter
- Relationship building and collaboration skills
- Challenges status quo with innovative ideas and solutions
WORK LIFE BALANCE ACTIVITIES
I am an avid outdoor-person and enjoy touring Alberta and spending time with family and friends. View my picture galleries on all my favorite activities!
You have a vision of organizational growth with an engaged, dedicated, high performing and successful team. You are looking for a human resources professional who inspires leaders to embrace the philosophy of human resources, focusing on the interrelationships between people, strategic priorities of the organization and processes required to achieve growth and success.
Are you nodding in agreement? Let’s connect, you have found the right person for the right job!